Saturday, January 25, 2014

FO: Anne Adams 4705, a floral 1940s wrap dress

Recently I saw this pattern pop up on Etsy in a size 36, and I knew I had to have it!
Cute pockets, gathers and ric-rac trim? Yes please!

I believe it dates to the late 1940s, possibly even 1950 due to the font and hair style.


































I've started to get patterns in a 36 inch bust instead of 38 or 40, in the hope i'll grade them up a size or two. This dress begged to be sewn up in some smashing floral quilting fabric, so deep breath in...

miss l fire Pompeii green 1940s wrap dress novelty print plus size xl anne adams 4705

































And the re-sizing worked! (because not much was needed, hehe).

When I made the muslin, I realised there was a heck of a lot of ease in the bust, so the only places I needed to enlarge were the hips (to enlarge, split the skirt piece from hem to waist line, and spread the pattern apart the amount you need - re-trace a new piece and viola).
I also did a sway-back adjustment to stop any gaping on the wrap back.

My favourite element is the cute little pockets with ric-rac trim - I'm sure you all know about my current obsession with that beloved trim by now.


































The fabric is quilter's cotton (DS Quilts 2011) that I bought from Spotlight last year on sale. (I ended up buying all this print I could get my hands on).

The back button is a vintage mother-of-pearl button from the stash.


































Would I make this pattern again? Possibly, but I have a few other house-dress patterns I'd like to try first.

Would I recommend it? Of course! Make a muslin first... I promise to post really soon about some pockets, and I'll include the instructions for making these ones.

Were there any issues? Nope.

Did it meet my 1940's Wearable Wardrobe criteria? It might be a bit casual for work, but it's great to run around in on the weekend - so I vote yes.

Did I stash bust? Yes! At last!

Outfit:
Dress, me!
Shoes: Miss L Fire Pompeii green.
Bakelite Bangles: Etsy

16 comments:

Shannon said...

Really lovely, Bex!

Lucy said...

That's a lovely dress! The print is gorgeous :-)

Claire Gittins said...

It's a lovely dress! I'm looking forward to your post on the pockets. They would look really cute on a skirt too.

AnnaPrasad said...

What a gorgeous drezzy. It looks fantastic. I love the fabric. Visiting your blog from Greenwich, London. www.annatestadoro.com

Emma Powick said...

Thats lovely Bex, you're so talented! x

missalison said...

Really love this - I also have this fabric, but my skirt isn't a patch on your frock. Just lovely.

Kate-Em said...

Gorgeous dress, love the print , the pockets and the trim.

Evie said...

Love everything about this!! Those are really great colors on you, too.

barbarajane said...

Love the fabric and the ric-rac, the dress looks great.

66stitches said...

This is so lovely! I especially love the shoulder details and the crossover back. Those Anne Adams patterns are hard to find though.

Bex said...

Aww thanks guys ;).
66stitches - yep, Anne Adams and the mail order patterns from the 40s are my favourite designs ;)

Laurence said...

Love it on you, such a nice color! Good work!!!

Rochelle New said...

Eeep!! I love this dress so much! The fabric, the ric rac, the cross-over back with one button... I want I want! Way too cute.

busylizzieinbrizzy.com said...

This is adorable. I love mail order patterns from that era too, and am amassing a small collection! I find they are more generous in their ease than expected so I now buy much smaller than I used to also.
This is super cute, I love the fabric and the ric rac - I would totally wear that to work - although I work from home most of the time, so perhaps that is cheating!

Penny-Rose said...

I think i am in love with this dress - it looks so comfortable to wear and so sweet with the pockets. I particularly like the cap shoulder rather than a sleeve and the detail of the ricrac. Well done :-) you look great wearing it.

Jessica Cangiano said...

Oh, how I absolutely adore this smashingly pretty dress! It's bursting with mid-century charm and sweetness, as well a a great springtime garden feel. Awesome job, dear Bex, it looks gorgeous on you (that shade of green sings with your red locks).

♥ Jessica